Sunday 16 December 2012

MY LIFE EXPERIENCES AS A NURSE


  Dr. GEORGE CHERIAN, AN AWESOME GURU
                                     
                       It was a day in Narayana Hrudayalaya Hospital. I was posted in CCU of Narayana Hrudayalaya, with some of my friends. I was in first year 1st year of my PG, used to look for new learning always. Narayana Hrudayalaya is just like IIT for nursing students, especially students who are doing MSc in Cardiothoracic nursing. I will say if you wanted to do MSc in cardiothoracic nursing Narayana Hrudayalaya is the place for you. I am always proud to become the part of that institution. And I always look forward for a life settled in Bangalore working in of Narayana Hrudayalaya Hospital. 

A VIEW OF NARAYANA HRUDAYALAYA HEALTH CITY, Bangalore
Let me come to the topic. Me and my friend Maria posted in CCU, we used to have rounds there and learn self by going through patients. We helped staff too. I was really eager to learn X rays those days because I had a seminar to conduct up on chest X ray, and I was just like – it is not my cup of tea.... whenever I tried to learn X rays, it given me a look back like  WHO ARE U?.

 I started getting irritated because I can’t read X rays. One day I was standing near to a patient, he was a case of cardiac arrest with certain pulmonary complications, (I am not remembering the case clearly now).patient had some pulmonary infections, he was intubated. Dr George Cherian came to the CCU with his student. I liked him very much; he was one of the perfect doctors I have ever seen. He started taking his rounds, used to ask questions to the companion. I was afraid of questions as always (that’s why Viva’s always had a tragic end; I will come to those topics later).  He told the student doctor to explain the X ray, he did it. He patted on his shoulder and explained certain subtle details of it. I and Mrs. Maria Thomas were trying to get some knowledge which overflows Ha ha ha. He moved to one patient from another. We were following him thinking that we can also learn something by listening to him. Things like ECG and x ray were difficult for us because he started always teaching from a level above what we knew. I felt like he was noticing us and I told Mrs. Maria also to be aware not get in front of his eyes. Suddenly he turned to us and called me…Come here,
He was quiet simple and soft spoken so I felt comfortable to go near him.
What actually you are doing, both of you are students?
We said – yes, we are doing MSc nursing from Narayana
Oh, do you have any speciality?
Yes – we told
We are in cardiothoracic nursing speciality
Oh good. he said, He asked me if you wants to learn X ray he will teach you (he pointed the student doctor (DNB))
He was not happy but nodded his head, and explained the x ray to us.
When we started asking questions he got some interests to explain it. It was the first time I started seriously learning X rays.
Then I was learning X rays of different patients, I was going from one x ray to another. Those days I used to read the file for ½ an hour and 15 mints for x rays. Nurses looked at me, like they have seen an alien. Doctors saw me, who is this x ray nurse? Some of them were different they encouraged me and they were also wanted to discuss. Sister.Solly, she is a nurse intensivist in Narayana Hrudayalaya now, helped me a lot by inspiring me and learning by discussing with me. I was very lazy in writing care plans and daily diaries which is practised in nursing colleges. I found those are useless and unproductive.
After this incident I have so many experiences from that great doctor, whenever I see him I feel so happy and my mind fill with fear out of respect. He taught not only an x ray, but also how a real teacher should be. I never feel hesitated to tell anything to him because I feel connected when he is around there.
A teacher can be anybody who teaches something, but a guru is a person who really led to ultimate learning and inspires us holistically.
I consider him as my Guru not just a doctor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment